• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

5-HTP, Good to Take Sometimes?

Visionary_Kpsycho

Bluelighter
Is it good to take 5-HTP sometimes, maybe 3 times a week, just to help your brain chemistry? is it safe to take? Does it make you feel better? What happens when you go off them suddenly, are there any withdrawal effects you feel.(a little more tired, bored?)

I've been taking about 50mg of 5-htp daily for the past year. I haven't really noticed much difference and if there has been any affect I wouldn't be able to tell you if it was the 5-htp, other factors or me behaving differently because I've taken the 5-htp and thinking its given me superpowers.

I'm 99% sure there are no withdrawal effects. I have gone a few weeks without it and not noticed any.

I also used to take 5htp regularly. Mostly as a sleeping aid. Ive never experienced any withdrawal effects. Then again, I've never experienced any withdrawal effects from anything off the GNC counter or vitamin section of the grocery store (which is where this can mostly be found).

I definitely sleep better if I take 100mg 5-htp on an empty stomach before I lay down. Some people find it makes their dreams frighteningly vivid, but that effect never bothered me.

5-htp's psychoactive effect is very subtle, and can't be called a 'buzz' or 'high' by any stretch of the imagination. I mostly find it predisposes me toward a calm sense of inner peace, with a hint of cozy comfort. I'd liken it to the feeling of walking into the house of an old dear friend, that you remember fondly but haven't seen in a long time.